Devon for Rovers

Roving Ringers Reunion this year (see separate post) was based at the Best Western hotel in Tiverton, with the Sunday ringing at towers in Exeter, so it made sense to go down to Bovey for a week either side of the weekend and for Lee and Emma to look after Suki.  I drove down with Suki on Wednesday 20th. The car was stuffed full of baby things for Lee and Emma - both from her friends in London and from Amanda out of our loft.  The big things from Amanda I put in the boot of Mike's car to bring at the weekend.

Peter had moved out the previous weekend and had left it very clean and tidy.  It was lovely to have the place to myself again.  The scanner, and fridge wine rack I had ordered from Amazon were waiting for me, and I was very pleased with both.  Each worked well in their own respective ways.


I rang a QP of Kent Minor with Tim and Nellie (one of his "improvers") - we had several starts and I  learned that the tenors and 3-4 ring the same lines - yet again picking up tips when I was supposed to be the experienced helper.

Moretonhamptead handbells were cancelled as Jean and Angie both had flu, so Ann and I volunteered to help Peter with the bellringing evening he had organised for the scouts.  We had no idea what we were expected to do until about 30 minutes beforehand, so there was no opportunity to do any preparation.  The scouts were split into 4 groups - and each group spent 30 minutes with each of the helpers.  Bob was up in the tower giving them a go on the big bells, Peter was in one corner of the church doing rounds and calls on  our handbells, Ann was in another corner doing tune ringing with the Bovey bells (two of which didn't sound!) and I was in yet another corner trying to do method ringing on handbells - I had 6 bells and each group consisted of at least 8 scouts and two adult helpers. Lapping was the best thing I could think of although I had written out plain hunt on 6 for them and one of them actually got the hang of counting places. I was way outside my comfort zone, and often felt like crying, but I persevered with it and apparently all the scouts had enjoyed it and had a good time.  Ann and I got a couple of nice emails thanking us for giving up our time from Peter and the Scout Leader.

Lee and Emma picked Suki up on the Friday - we went for a walk in Parke and then had a coffee in the dog walkers' cafe before they took her off back to Dittisham for the weekend.  It was very quiet and weird without her in the house.

I drove to Dittisham on Monday morning to collect her and to see Lee and Emma's new house for the first time.  It needs a lot of work but has lots of potential.  It is quite large with 3 good sized bedrooms.  They had bought a nice rug for Lacey's room with the B&Q voucher I gave them for their new home.  I went for a little walk round with Emma and the dogs, but it was awful weather and wasn't worth doing much more.

I had quite a good sort out while I was in Devon this time - I found all my plastic storage boxes for the kitchen in the shed!  I had been looking everywhere for the cheese one at Christmas but hadn't thought to look in the shed!

I was watching the weather forecast anxiously as the Beast from the East was sweeping over from Siberia and I didn't want to have any problems on the roads, but it seemed to be ok in the South West and only light snow in London so I stayed on until the Tuesday and went to the Bovey practice on Monday evening.

Tuesday was bright and sunny in Bovey - I thought I had lost Suki at one point and then realised she had found a comfortable sunny spot on my bed and was well surrounded by pillows and cushions.



The weather was good and the roads were fine until I got to Heston services and then traffic ground to a complete halt and the snow started falling really heavily.  I thought we would all get snowed in just waiting to get going again but eventually we moved - past a pile up of cars on the hard shoulder.  There was gridlock in Larden road so I went round the side roads - which was a mistake as they were treacherous and I nearly slid into the back of a car which had stopped at the junction.  I was glad to finally slide into a parking space outside the house.

Probate for Mary's Estate had been granted and was waiting in the post when I got back.  Now I can get on with putting the house in our names.  Mind you I will also now have to pay out all the bequests!  But it will be worth it to have the house in Devon.

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Saturday 1 February

Roving Ringers Reunion Weekend 21-22 Feb