Magaluf to Bovey


The Majorca trip was a sudden suggestion from Amanda who wanted to visit and see her friends again before the baby is born (due end-May).  The first weekend in April was the best one for me so within a few days we had booked flights and hotel (just 4 nights) and she had organised child care and we were off.

Our flight out was 7.30 pm from Stanstead on Saturday 2nd April, and the plane was full – but it was otherwise ok and I had a gin and tonic to get in to the holiday mood.  We were met at Palma Airport by one of Amanda’s friends.  As we left the airport I went to put something in my purse and couldn't find it.  I turned my bag out in the car and it definitely wasn't there.  I felt sick!  Her friend dropped us off at the hotel about 11.45 pm and we checked in – we were lucky to be at the far end of the corridor on the first floor so well away from the noise of the reception area (if not of the bars on the Strip!).  My ankle was very swollen after the flight – so I got a pillow (we asked for extra ones) and put my leg on it and settled down to telephone and cancel all my cards.  Mike was clearly asleep as he didn't respond to my email asking him to send the numbers, but Amanda’s partner Sam  was awake and he sent photos of all the relevant web sites with the telephone numbers and I sat up till the early hours telephoning them all and cancelling the cards.   We finally got to bed about 1.30 am!  There was a lot of drunken singing from the bars outside but I fell asleep quite quickly anyway.

The next day I phoned the EasyJet lost property office and the man said he hadn't had anything from the previous day yet but took my number and said he would ring if anything came in.   It was quite a nice day and we had hoped to sit by the pool but there was a drunk bloke throwing tables and sun loungers around at the attendant so we decided that wasn't an option. Instead we went upstairs and sat on our balcony - and then Amanda popped out to visit some more friends and I carried on sitting in the sunshine reading. I got a call from the lost property man later in the morning saying he had my purse!  I was amazed and over the moon as it would have been a major job to replace all the membership and loyalty cards.  Amanda borrowed a car the next day and we went and collected it – and then did some shopping in Porta Pi so ended up making a nice day of it.

It was a bit windy and cold for sitting but we did a lot of eating out, drinking and having coffees etc and of course Amanda saw lots of her friends (while I read a book – I finished a whole one during the trip).  I learned rather too much than I wanted to know about having a baby by C-section and of course they all talked about people and places I didn’t know.  But I had a lovely time being the Auntie in tow and I had plenty of opportunity to rest my ankle.  I bought my sister 8 sleeves of cigarettes and got two free bottles of scotch with them!  Worth doing!!  There were lots of young people getting out of their heads on drink – especially at night – but we managed to avoid them in the restaurants and I managed to sleep despite the rowdiness in the streets.




I got back on Wednesday 6th, and the next day went over to visit Keith - I had been unable to do so the week before because of the fall, and would not be able to go for another two weeks because I was going to be in Devon.  I went to the EE shop in Barnet to try and get £15 transferred from his top up card for his dongle (which is broken) to his top up card for his phone.  Lost my rag after getting very negative reactions from staff and then being sidelined on to a table in the corner with a phone which failed to connect me to anyone for the whole 20 minutes I sat there.  Couldn't even get Customer Services on my own phone.  Stormed out shouting "this is f.....ing ridiculous – don't buy anything here".  So now I can't go back there!  I would rather just give Keith the £15 and tell him I got a refund in Chiswick!  All this took up a lot of time, and of course I was walking everywhere much more slowly than usual on my sore ankle.

On Monday 11th April I rang my 100th peal in hand!  I was supposed to have been walking with Maryanne that day, but it was obvious that my ankle was not up to it so I had to give it a miss.  The peal made up a bit for the disappointment.

On Thursday 14th I picked up Jayne from Heathrow and we drove straight down to Bovey.  It was great to see her again after so long and we were able to catch up a lot on the 3-hour trip - she managed to stay awake all the way although was clearly struggling towards the end of the journey.

We had a lovely week together - the weather was quite kind and we had some lovely walks.  On the Saturday we had a  lovely 2 hour walk on the moor.  We had intended to park at the top Trendlebeare car park - but didn't find it!  After following the road round for a while we found a good car park behind Black Hill and contoured round towards Leighon.  We went round the back of Black Hill and then up to the ridge and cairns, then back round the front of Black Hill and back to the car park.  Hot and sunny day with very little wind.  We then drove to Leighon and then took the small road past Beckaford Farm and then on to the small car parks.  It was interesting to see how the roads were linked.  Went to the Moorland café - which was under new management and no bacon sandwiches!  We found it rather expensive and we ended up just having a (rather small) toasted tea cake. Back home we spent an hour or so setting up the new Freeview box and recorder - very pleased with it.  Then set up the soundbar.  It didn't really look right, and covered the remote control sensor on the TV, so I decided it would be better in London. We tried to change lightbulb in hall light - but it disintegrated every time we touched it so we decided to leave it and get a new one and an electrician in. Then Jayne wrestled with emails and I read a book.  I was then going to do the ironing, as felt it was too early to slob, but ended up spending two hours with Jayne looking at adjustable height tables and then laptop lap trays online.  Ended up ordering two ordinary lap trays for Devon and a laptop lap tray for London.  By then it was 6.25 so we decamped to the living room and then cooked chicken breast and veg stir fry for supper.  The grilling machine did the chicken beautifully, and very quickly.  We followed it (after a digestive pause) with the last of the strawberries, meringue and yoghurt we had bought earlier in the week . Watched the last two recorded episodes of Casualty on DVD.  Just one left to catch up with on the iPlayer and we can watch it live again.

Mon 18th - We went to Stover for a shortish walk as we had to be back by 11 for the cooker man.  Did a circuit from the back road through the wood and then up by the canal to the lake and back through the Arbetrum walk.  Managed to pick up dog poo in my shoe somewhere! Got back at 10.30 -followed in to the drive by the cooker man. He said the cooker couldn't be mended, and the gas point would need replacing before we could instal a new cooker.  Oh dear, we shall have to have a new kitchen! While he was there Barry called round to invite us in for coffee anytime we are passing.  Rather sweet.  Typical that we had left the dishes when we normally would have done them before going out. Went to see Mary for an hour before lunch - sat in the quiet lounge because there was "exercising" going on in the other lounge. Mary rather quiet - we thought a little fractious! Dropped Suki off at home and went to Forches Cross for lunch.  Had a lovely tuna and cheese panini.  Then went to Trago and had a happy time browsing and got some bits and pieces. Feeling very tired and lethargic when I got in.  We both took Suki for a short walk up on to the hill and then round the block.  Graham (the vicar) was up on the hill with their new puppy, Spark, but he wasn't friendly or forthcoming at all.  Went to ringing and came straight back for a beer and another episode of Casualty.



Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Saturday 1 February

Roving Ringers Reunion Weekend 21-22 Feb