Feb week in Devon

Treated myself to 8 days in Devon - missing a choir practice.  I had a good journey down on the Saturday arriving early enough to have some lunch and a rest before going for a walk on the moor and then visiting Mary.  The cleaner had been in the week before, so everywhere was clean and fresh - it was lovely.  The gardeners had also been and the back garden was also looking much tidier and the earth had been turned over and weeded.  The ivy is now gone from the back porch which is much better.

I had a very productive day on the Sunday - after ringing and communion I washed the car and hoovered it out, then I cleared out Shed 2 - and started on putting the tools and garden things in there from Shed 1.  This motivated me to continue with the clearing and sorting of Shed 1 (Jack's shed) through the week and by the end of the week I had managed to clear it - and hoover it! - and just have the shelves at the back, and the contents of the bureau to sort out which I shall probably do with Mike at Easter as he will be able to identify the tools etc which I can't!



Mike meanwhile went to Kristen's book launch - she describes it in her blog Kristen in London and there is a nice photo of Mike included.

The weather was fabulous on Sunday and Monday - sunshine and blue skies. On Monday it was so warm I could have sat outside at lunchtime - although I did my favourite thing which is to sit with the sun lounge door open and my chair in the doorway so that the sun is on me.  It was lovely.  The quarry was still frozen on Sunday but had thawed by the end of the week.  We got up on to the moor a few times - just a couple of days where it was too grey or wet.  Only one day of heavy rain all day - which made the Plantation a nice bog trot again!  We did all our favourite haunts including Bovey Valley Woods, Plantation, Parke and Moor.  On my last day we were just coming out of the quarry gate and met Jo Mansell-Bentley with a small group of people.  She had never been there before so I was able to confirm they were at the quarry (they had been looking for it) and that you could get out the other side over the stile.  Quite the local!



I had three bouts of handbell ringing in Exeter - two QPs, of which the one of Yorkshire Royal was successful and the one of 6xspliced Major was not.  We had an attempt at ringing a peal of Superlative Major on the Wednesday but it failed after an hour and three quarters.  The handbell ringing on Thursday evening was very enjoyable as usual - Ann was away and I did the driving, picking up Joyce and Jimpy from Joyce's place.

I got a puncture up the Hay Tor Road going to close to the side to pass something - I ripped a hole in the sidewall.  I called the RAC out and then took Suki for a short walk along the permitted bridleway opposite Ullacombe Cottage - so at least I was able to explore that and see the point where the Templar Way crosses it.  The RAC man made a temporary repair which enable me to drive home with him following me - and I phone Moorlands and they put me in touch with a mobile tyre man who came out the following day with a new tyre (annoyingly the punctured one had been new in January!).  I was due to ring in the peal the following morning but luckily everyone was able to reschedule to the afternoon.

I had my hair cut on the Thursday - I was a bit miffed as Ryan cut it way too short but if I put it in the same style you can hardly notice.  It will grow out soon enough - and I certainly use less shampoo and conditioner!

I had lunch with Jay on the way back at the Half Moon in Horsington.  Suki had her own plate of meat!

Lorraine went off to Australia the day before I got home - two weeks to visit friends and attend a music festival.

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Saturday 1 February

Roving Ringers Reunion Weekend 21-22 Feb